Paul Bettany Discusses Transitioning From MCU's Jarvis to Vision

WandaVision star Paul Bettany gave a tongue-in-cheek explanation of how his presence in the Marvel Cinematic Universe changed from that of a disembodied voice to the form of Avengers synthozoid The Vision.

Bettany spoke to Esquire about the Disney+ series and the evolution of his career. After seeing a meme of his photo captioned "AFTER 7 YEARS AND 5 FILMS AS A COMPUTER VOICE PAUL BETTANY FINALLY BECOMES ONE OF THE HEROES," Bettany exclaimed, "Oh! I guess -- yes, I guess that's true!"

RELATED: WandaVision's Paul Bettany Reveals Vision's Cut Endgame Scene

Bettany went on to explain, "Initially, I was given a job where I had to speak into a microphone for about two hours and then everybody was thoroughly pleased with me and they gave me a big bag of cash! And I think that [Robert Downey Jr.] got pissed off about that arrangement and forced them to actually use me in the movies and make me show up on set. I'm not sure how it happened, but I believe that's the story."

Bettany's voice was featured in Iron Man as J.A.R.V.I.S., the artificial intelligence system invented by Downey's Tony Stark. J.A.R.V.I.S. -- "Just A Rather Very Intelligent System" -- subsequently appeared in Iron Man 2, The Avengers and Iron Man 3. Bettany debuted on-screen as Vision in Avengers: Age of Ultron, as Stark and Bruce Banner moved J.A.R.V.I.S. into Vision's body after Ultron tried to eliminate him. Bettany reprised the role in Captain America: Civil War and Avengers: Infinity War.

J.A.R.V.I.S. was named for Stark's family butler Edwin Jarvis, who appeared in Agent Carter, played by James D'Arcy.

KEEP READING: Paul Bettany Cannot Believe His MCU Tenure has Spanned THREE Decades

Source: Esquire via YouTube


Post a Comment

0 Comments