The 2021 I'ds of March! | CBR

The concept is this - for the Ides of March, I tell you things that I'd have done in certain comics!!

But don't worry, I'm not talking about simple 20/20 hindsight things like pick a famous bad storyline and just say, "I wouldn't have done that" or "You know that cool character? I wouldn't have killed him/her."

No, I mean more like tweaks and nudges, stuff like that. Not major changes.

You can check out past years' I'ds to see what I'm talking about, or just read on! I've also asked my fellow CBR writers if they'd like to share some of their I'ds, so I'll mix them in there, too!

RELATED: The 2020 I'ds of March!

This was going to be one of my choices, but when I asked other CBR writers for their own I'ds, Ian Cardona suggested this one, so this is now his! As CBR's Brandon Zachary recently wrote about, oddly enough, Vision and Scarlet Witch are not prominently featured in the Marvel Universe right now, which sure seems like a mistake, right?

Obviously, WandaVision is based on a number of Marvel Comics, so there is no way that there can be a Marvel Universe version of WandaVision, but at the same time, we've just built up all of these peoples' interest in Wanda and Vision as a couple (to the point where Marvel has pulled a bunch of old trades back into print to match that demand), so why not give a regular Marvel Universe comic book that could play off of that new interest? Doesn't it just seem like a no-brainer?

One of the things about DC's new Omniverse is that you can basically just suggest ANY kind of story that you'd like to see and there would suddenly be a chance of that being an actual reality and one of these stories that I think that they should cover is the return of Keith Giffen, J.M. DeMatteis and Kevin Maguire to the "Bwah Ha Ha" era of the Justice League.

As we saw in Formerly Known as the Justice League, they can tell a compelling story that is wholly in its own continuity, as was the sequel to this great story, so why not just let them cut loose on a story like that?

Doesn't it just seem bizarre that DOCTOR Darcy Lewis has not yet been introduced in the Marvel Universe? She has actually appeared in quite a lot of comic books, but only those tie-in comic books that lead up to the various Marvel Cinematic Universe movies that are set in the continuity of the MCU.

So Darcy has yet to actually appear in the regular comics, which just seems crazy. Heck, with Jimmy Woo not doing anything, why not pair the two of them up in the comics? Have them both go work for SHIELD as the sort of thing that people were hoping to see from them in the MCU, a sort of X-Files riff.

This sort of thing happens ALL of the time, so I certainly am not begrudging anyone for it, but so often you have a comic book writer come up with a new take on a character, the character then gets hyped as part of a new publishing initiative, the initiative ends and/or the writer moves on and the character falls into limbo.

That is what has happened to the Ray, who was poised to be one of DC's most prominent gay superheroes (even appearing in his own TV series), but has been mostly absent from the DCU in the past few years (he couldn't even crack the lineup of the Titans when they were forming a new team post No Justice).

Okay, this one is super nerdy, but I'd really like to see someone just have Songbird join the Avengers and then have her disappear as part of the Avenger Forever storyline, where she was plucked from the near future where she was one of the Avengers. Even if it is just a single story arc that she's on the team! Okay, I'd like her to be an Avenger in general, but at least make Avengers Forever make sense!

RELATED: The 2019 I'ds of March!

The great Michel Fiffe recently shared this theoretical lineup for a Freak Force comic book. He was just doing one of those "dream lineup" ideas, but man, how awesome would those characters on a team book by Fiffe be? REALLY AWESOME is the answer!

This one is from CBR's Renaldo Matadeen. In case you were unfamiliar, there was almost a series about Fallon Grey, the daughter of Blade. The creators of the series, Tim Seeley and Logan Faeber, backed out of the project because they thought that an African-American creator should be doing the series instead. Renaldo thinks that it is time for her to make her comic book debut!

This one just kind of irked me. Josh Jackam was introduced early in Geoff Johns and Scott Kolins' Flash run, as theoretically Wally West's son, but it turned out he was really the son of the Weather Wizard. His mother, Julie, was a cop who died early in Johns and Kolins' run on the Flash, and so Iris West Allen became he guardian of the young boy.

However, he was then murdered by Inertia in Final Crisis: Rogues' Revenge and it just seemed like it barely mattered. We didn't TECHNICALLY see him die, so I'd just reveal he didn't die and he was taken in by, let's say, Julie's old partner, Fred Chyre, who had tried to adopt Josh before.

CBR's Brenton Stewart explains his reasoning for this one, " I'd give Ben Reilly the Spider-Man title for a year. 90's nostalgia is really hot right now and Ben hasn't done much but bump around Conan and Iron Man since his resurrection. Give him the spotlight for a awhile so his resurrection really matters and make Peter the guest star in other titles while he takes a break from the main spider gig."

Finally, this one I actually just came up with while writing the Justice League one (so I'll have an extra I'd next year, I guess!). The whole concept of the Omniverse seems like it would be totally primed for an Ambush Bug series, right? Have him explore the totality of the Omniverse and, you know, make fun of some of it!

KEEP READING: The 2018 I'ds of March!

Okay, those are MY (and other CBR writers') "I'ds" of March, so now you folks share YOUR I'ds in the comments section! Or on Twitter. Or on Facebook. Wherever you feel like, really.


Post a Comment

0 Comments