Vin Diesel Says Paul Walker Is Responsible for John Cena Joining F9

Fast & Furious franchise star Vin Diesel said the spirit of the late Paul Walker inspired him to add John Cena to the mix.

Cena appears in the upcoming Fast & Furious 9, directed by Justin Lin, as Jakob Toretto, the previously unmentioned brother of Diesel's Dom Toretto. Diesel told Cinemablend, "I remember once we started getting closer to production, Justin and I would talk about how harrowing it would be to actually cast a new Toretto. The brother of Toretto. There's so many different directions you could go."

RELATED: F9 Director Explains the Film's Second Biggest Return After Han

Diesel continued, "And I remember John Cena coming into this Dom Shrine that I had where I would kind of go to meditate and train and start getting into that Dom state of mind. And I remember John coming in and … call this crazy, but I remember feeling as though Pablo, Paul Walker, had sent him in. I remember talking to Justin that night and saying, 'My gut and my heart feels like this was meant to be.'"

Walker appeared as Brian O'Conner in six of the Fast & Furious movies. He died at age 40 from injuries sustained in a car crash in 2013 while a passenger. At the time, Furious 7 was in production, so producers wrote out Walker's character and used CGI, unused footage and his brothers standing in as doubles to complete the film.

Directed by Justin Lin, F9 stars Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Tyrese Gibson, Chris "Ludacris" Bridges, John Cena, Nathalie Emmanuel, Jordana Brewster, Sung Kang, Helen Mirren, Kurt Russell and Charlize Theron. The film arrives in theaters June 25.

KEEP READING: F9 Is Basically the First Part of a New Fast and Furious Trilogy

Source: Cinemablend


Post a Comment

0 Comments