X-Men Compares to Shakespeare's Plays, Says Producer | CBR

Longtime X-Men producer Simon Kinberg isn't sure where the franchise will go next, but he knows he'll be along for the ride when Marvel's Merry Mutants return to the silver screen. Speaking to CBR about his new AppleTV+ series Invasion, Kinberg addressed his potential future with the X-Men now that the rights to the characters have reverted to Marvel Studios.

"I mean, you know I love the characters. I love the comics. I adore [Marvel Studios president] Kevin Feige. I adore what he's done. I'm such an admirer of what he's done with the MCU," Kinberg told CBR. "I would always be open to working on it, because I love the characters so much."

RELATED: X-Men's James McAvoy is Okay Leaving Professor X Behind

"But there's also a part of me that feels like I'm really interested to see what they will do with it, to make it different if I'm not a part of it, or even if I am a part of it, because it's a little bit like -- not to sound bombastic, but it's a little bit like Shakespeare, where a million people have played Hamlet," he explained. "There's been tons of fascinating versions of Hamlet."

"I myself started with the original X-Men cast and then went into the First Class cast and then put them together in a movie and split them back up again and did something very different with Logan than what we were doing with Wolverine and the X-Men mainline franchise. So there's just so many different ways you can go tonally and cast-wise," he said.

RELATED: Invasion Trailer Brings Alien Kaiju to Apple TV+

"I'm excited to see what they do. I don't have any hopes for what they do. I know it's gonna be cool because everything they do is cool and smart and really well thought-out. As a fan of the comics and as a fan of Marvel movies, I literally can't wait. So yeah, I'd certainly be open to being involved. If not, will be first in line and wildly excited to see what they do," he concluded.

X-Men made its theatrical debut with 20th Century Fox in 2000, several years before Marvel Studios formed. As such, Fox owned the rights to the franchise and the characters for decades, churning out seven core X-Men films and multiple spinoffs, including three Wolverine films and two Deadpool movies. The film series officially concluded in 2019 with Dark Phoenix, which released just after Disney bought Fox and the studios merged.

RELATED: Marvel Boss Promises Eternals Is a 'Love Letter' to Jack Kirby

Kinberg produced the franchise beginning with 2011's X-Men: First Class and stayed on in that role up through The New Mutants' release in 2020. He also contributed to X-Men TV series such as The Gifted and Legion. In addition to his work with Fox, he has collaborated with Disney, producing such projects as Star Wars Rebels and 2015's live-action Cinderella film.

Invasion is now available to stream on Apple TV+.

KEEP READING: Invasion: Simon Kinberg Compares Series To This Is Us - With An Alien Twist


Post a Comment

0 Comments