Jupiter's Legacy: Elena Kampouris, Ian Quinlan & Andrew Horton on Their Superhero Legacy

The kids aren't alright. In Jupiter's Legacy, the next generation of supers -- including Skyfox's son Hutch and Sampson siblings Brandon and Chloe -- must deal with their parents' legacies in one way or another. For the Sampsons, that means grappling with the pressure to become superheroes like their parents; for Hutch, that means not falling into the villainous ways of his father, while proving himself to be capable without having any superpowers at all. They all end up dealing with these pressures through different means, but one thing remains the same: they most certainly are not their parents.

Speaking to CBR, Jupiter's Legacy stars Elena Kampouris (Chloe), Ian Quinlan (Hutch) and Andrew Horton (Brandon) explained the different ways through which their characters cope -- regardless of whether or not they're successful at it. They also broke down the way they explored their characters through stunt work and more.

RELATED: How Jupiter's Legacy Expands Utopian's Relationship With THAT Supervillain

CBR: So Brandon, Chloe and Hutch all have a lot to live up to, considering who their parents are. What does pressure like that do a person like your character?

Andrew Horton: I think, for Brandon, it really heightens everything about him. It makes him more stressed; it makes him more vulnerable. It makes him more angry; it makes him more confused. I think all of those emotions can be seen coming through throughout his journey in the show. Yeah, he makes some decisions that maybe aren't the best decisions, because of feeling so much pressure, I feel. So yeah, that would be my quick summation.

RELATED: Jupiter's Legacy's Most Shocking Revelation Is the Second Blackstar's Origin

Elena Kampouris: I don't know how much you've seen of the show, but as you can probably tell once you meet Chloe, the pressures of living up to a legacy has sent Chloe into a spiral -- into a downward spiral. You know, she's in the pursuit of stifling and numbing this pain of feeling like she's never going to be able to measure up. Also feeling the guilt of not participating and involving herself in that family mission of saving the world, but it doesn't match what she wants to do with her life. She doesn't agree with it. So, there's a lot of baggage she's carrying; she's turning to drugs and alcohol and all kinds of things to try and numb that pain that she's feeling, but it's only -- like Andrew said -- heightening it. I feel like everyone's in a very heightened state because of this pressure, if that makes sense.

Ian Quinlan: You know, it's funny that you say, "What our characters have to live up to." I actually would say that Hutch doesn't have much to live up to. He actually has a tremendous amount of fight against, I think he was born into a reputation that he had no creation in making. I think he was born into a stigma around his father and subsequently around him. So I think this person has been fighting his whole life to try to distance himself from that legacy, and to also tear that legacy down, and I think, in so doing, also trying to tear down the legacy of the Utopian and the Union.

RELATED: Jupiter's Legacy: The Union's Code - and Why It's So Important

Each of your characters is involved in some pretty intense action throughout the series. How involved were you in the stunt process, and what did that look like for you?

Quinlan: That process was phenomenal. So basically, my character doesn't have any powers. So when he's fighting, it's his physical body and when I met Phil Silvera, our amazing fight choreographer, they took took me through my fight sequence, and it was literally me fighting all of these people, physically. I had an hour to learn it, and then it was two days of straight up 15-hour days, just fighting every day.

When I first booked the role, I wanted to show that too. I told him, I was like, "I want this guy who lives with no powers, who grows up in a world of people with powers, to look like he's had to fight for everything and had to scrap for every crumb he's ever been given." So I was going to Muay Thai a lot and working out a lot, doing that. It really helped the process, because it's like most people go to contact sports, because they need to get some emotion out, and not always aggression. That was a journey. I was like, "Oh, this cat has been through a lot." That was a really fun and exciting journey, and I'm really excited. I'm happy about how it turned out and excited for the fans to see it.

Netflix's Jupiter's Legacy stars Josh Duhamel as The Utopian, Ben Daniels as Brain-Wave, Leslie Bibb as Lady Liberty, Elena Kampouris as Chloe Sampson, Andrew Horton as Brandon Sampson, Mike Wade as The Flare, Anna Akana as Raikou and Matt Lanter as Skyfox. The series is now available to stream on Netflix.

KEEP READING: Jupiter's Legacy Homages the Comic's Co-Creator


Post a Comment

0 Comments