Kit Harington Passed on a Superhero Role While Shooting Game of Thrones

Kit Harington is about to make his superhero movie debut with Eternals, but the actor almost joined a comic book property even sooner.

The former Game of Thrones star told Total Film magazine that back when he was in the thick of the HBO series, he had the opportunity to suit up -- but it wasn't the right fit at the time.

"You know, the comic-book and superhero world has called once before, and I didn’t like the role and the part and the time to do it," Harington revealed. "So I turned it down. And then this one [in Eternals] felt right to me. I liked that the character they were offering was not necessarily an Eternal. He was human. I did like that. I felt that I could do something with that, that he came with all these human faults. So it was the character that drew me to it, as well as it being the MCU, and how exciting."

RELATED: Marvel's Eternals' Story Stands Alone But Will Majorly Impact the MCU

Harington wouldn't reveal which character he was up for -- or even if it was for Marvel, DC, or someone else. He just said the timing wasn't right given how deeply involved with Game of Thrones he was.

"I won’t mention what it was, but yeah, there was one other [superhero movie] that I did turn down a while ago," Harington said. "It was a while ago, as well – just because it didn’t feel like the right thing at the right time. And I think I was right to. My head was very in the Jon Snow world then."

With Game of Thrones in the rearview, Harington is finally ready to play a superhero, though he's making no guarantees that he'll actually suit up. In Eternals, he'll play Dane Whitman, better known in the comics as the Black Knight. But it's not clear if the actor will actually wield the hero's Ebony Blade in the film or merely serve as a human amongst Eternals. And though his future with the MCU seems all but certain, the actor also told the magazine that he's not so sure.

RELATED: Eternals' Sersi and Ikaris Get Close in New Still

"I’ve got no idea whether my character goes on or not," Harington said. "I had read up on who he could be, or might be. So there’s the possibility for a longer trajectory. And hopefully, I think this is the tip of the iceberg for my character. I hope.

Harington's superhero debut, Eternals, arrives Nov. 5 in theaters.

Source: Total Film via GamesRadar


Post a Comment

0 Comments