Catwoman Star Halle Berry Really Wants to Direct a Remake | CBR

Halle Berry is more than game to helm a remake of the infamous 2004 Catwoman movie.

"I would love to direct [a] Catwoman [remake]," Berry told Jake's Takes while promoting her directorial debut on the boxing drama Bruised (which she also stars in). "If I can get ahold of that now, knowing what I know, having had this experience, and reimagine that world the way I reimagined this story. Bruised was written for a white Irish Catholic 25 year old girl, and I got to reimagine it. I wish I could go back and reimagine Catwoman and redo that. Have a redo on that, now knowing what I know [about directing]."

RELATED: Halle Berry Appreciates Her Catwoman Fans… And Asks Where They Were in 2004

Directed by Jean-Christophe "Pitof" Comar, Catwoman starred Berry as Patience Phillips, an unassuming designer who gets murdered after uncovering a conspiracy at the cosmetics company where she works, only to return as the masked vigilante Catwoman upon being revived by a magical Egyptian cat. The DC comic book film adaptation flopped at the box office and received all-but universally negative reviews, with critics deriding its laughable plot and the way the movie hyper-sexualizes the titular anti-hero without really fleshing her out as a character.

Berry didn't hesitate to explain how she would improve on the movie with her remake. "I would have Catwoman saving the world like most male superheroes do, and not just saving women from their faces cracking off," she explained. "I would make the stakes a lot higher, and I think make it more inclusive of both men and women."

RELATED: Batwoman Just Introduced Catwoman's Bat-Trophy

In the past, the Oscar-winner has admitted she knew Catwoman was problematic, even when she was working on it. "The story didn't feel quite right," said Berry in September 2020. "I remember having that argument: 'Why can't Catwoman save the world like Batman and Superman do? Why is she just saving women from a face cream that cracks their face off?' But I was just the actor for hire. I wasn't the director. I had very little say over that."

Bruised premiered at the Toronto International Film Festival in September and will begin streaming Nov. 24 on Netflix. Elsewhere, ZoĆ« Kravitz is playing the Selina Kyle version of Catwoman in director Matt Reeves' DC Comics movie The Batman, which opens in theaters exclusively on March 4, 2022.

KEEP READING: The Batman's New Synopsis Promises a 'Raw, Intense' Dark Knight

Source: YouTube


Post a Comment

0 Comments